Management Committee

POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING

Meeting Minutes: 14th June 2017

Opening

The regular meeting of the Powerstown Allotments Association was called to order at 8pm on 14th June 2017 in Ritamay’s House by Tony Baldwin.

Present

Tony, Catherine, Ritamary, Karen, Dave and John

Apologies

Gerry (Working)

Approval of Minutes

  • The minutes of previous meeting were unavailable and will be approved at next meeting.

Agenda

  1. Bee group
  2. Orchard
  3. TUS worker

Bee Group:

  • There were two swarming incidents since last meeting. It is thought that this is because there are too many queen cells. There are now two viable hives with all native bees. Bees will need careful monitoring over the coming weeks.

Orchard:

  • No updates.

TUS worker:

  • Brian’s time with TUS in now over. Rob is now onsite on his own. John has been in contact with CE Co-coordinator with a view to having Brian placed in Powerstown.

Pesticides:

  • An issue has arisen regarding the use of pesticides and a plot holder has complained that crops on their site were damaged as a result. There is nothing in our contracts which restricts the use of pesticide but Karen will email all plot holders to encourage use of organic substances rather than chemical, and also to point out how over spray can affect others.

AOB:

  • Toilet: Dabney will contact JH regarding same.
  • Water pressure: issue still not resolved, but is being managed by Fingal Co. Co.

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 22:00 by Tony B. The next meeting will be at 20:00 on July 5, 2017, in Ritamary’s House.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING

Meeting Minutes: 3rd May 2017

Opening

The regular meeting of the Powerstown Allotments Association was called to order at 8pm on 3rd May 2017 in Ritamary’s House by Tony B.

Present

Tony, Catherine, Ritamary, Karen, Dave and John

Apologies

Gerry (Working)

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of previous meeting were proposed and approval by Catherine and Dave

Agenda

  1. AGM
  2. Bee group
  3. Orchard
  4. Polytunnel
  5. Break ins
  6. Water problems

AGM

  • The AGM will be held on 6th May at 11:30 am. In the polytunnel. 28 people will be required for a quorum.
  • A chairman’s and treasurer’s report will be required.

Bee Group:

  • There are two hives at present. Hive 1 is in trouble as queen is not performing properly. No new queen is available. A decision needs to be made whether to split colony or to merge with Hive No. 2. If this is successful a third hive could be set up.
  • Some ideas being thought about are,
    • Adopt a bee
    • Sell honey at reduced rate to plot holders

Orchard:

  • No updates at present, trees doing ok but grass cutting needs to be maintained.
  • Trees will need to be fertilised as the season progresses.

Polytunnel:

  • Costs and plans discussed – put on hold until September.

Water problems:

  • No noticeable water pressure on site. Issue has been raised with John H. Pumps are faulty and will need to be replaced. Meantime a workaround is required. Tony is to liaise with John H.

Break-ins:

  • This problem has raised its head again. A number of break-ins have occurred recently and some plot holders property has been stolen or damaged. The site is so open it is very difficult to secure and we need to think of ways of making it more difficult for the intruders, anti-vandal paint on fence, CCTV etc.

AOB

  • Speed limit on site
  • Loose dogs
  • Children not being supervised by parents

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 22:00 by Tony B. The next meeting will be at 20:00 on June 7, 2017, in Ritamary’s House.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING

Meeting Minutes: 1st March 2017

Opening

The regular meeting of the Powerstown Allotments Association was called to order at 8pm on 1st March 2017 in Ritamary’s House by Tony B.

Present: Tony, Catherine, Ritamary, Karen, Dave and John

Apologies: Gerry (Ill)

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of previous meetings were proposed and approval by Catherine and Gerry: 08/09/2016 + 12/10/2016 + 09/11/2016 + 06/12/2016 + 01/02/2017

Agenda

  1. Bee group
  2. Orchard
  3. Polytunnel
  4. TUS worker

Bee Group:

  • The bee group has been promised a new native swarm and will be delivered in the coming months. A new hive has been purchased and is ready to be put into service. It was proposed and agreed that the bee area should be tidied up before new season gets under way. Tony has  a roll of mypex purchased for this purpose. As soon as weather permits and peoples availability it is hoped to get a group together to cover ground in bee area with wood chippings.

Orchard:

  • Karen hopes to start pruning and weeding fruit trees as soon as weather permits. She will send email + Facebook messages to Allotment holders to generate interest. It is hoped that all trees will be pruned and weeded before growth is too vigorous.

Polytunnel:

  • It was agreed at the meeting that the polytunnel cover should be replaced this year finances allowing. Gerry has started this process but as he was ill no update was available. It is also hoped to replace raised beds in polytunnel and also to buy top soil for them.

TUS worker:

  • Brian current TUS worker term with Powerstowm ends on 31st May 2017. It is hoped that a replacement will be provided. John to make contact with TUS Team Leader Wayne and get an update on the situation.

AOB

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 21:30 by Tony Baldwin. The next meeting will be at 20:00 on April 5, 2017, in Ritamary’s House.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING

Meeting minutes: 1st February 2017

Present: Ritamary, Dave, Gerry, Catherine, Tony and John.

Apologies: Karen

Agenda:

  1. Bee Group
  2. Open Day

Bee Group:

  • An offer has been made by a member of the bee group to place an additional hive in the Bee area. It is not known what the member intends to do with this hive. It was agreed at the meeting to refuse placement of hive on the grounds that the bee area is for the Allotment community and that all produce will be shared on a no profit basis with the community.
  • Tony will contact member to inform him of this decision.

Open Day:

  • John Harrington will be the guest speaker this Saturday 4th February 2017. Tea and biscuits will be provided and it is proposed to get John to speak for 45 minutes with an open forum afterwards.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s