2016 Minutes

POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 13

Meeting Minutes: 6th December 2016

Opening

The regular meeting of the Powerstown Allotments Association was called to order at 8pm on 6th December 2016 in Ritamay’s House by Tony Baldwin.

Present: Tony, Catherine, Gerry, Ritamary, Karen and John

Apologies: Joanne (tendered her resignation due to personal reasons), Dave

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of previous meeting were proposed and approval by Catherine and Gerry

Agenda

  1. Financial Statement
  2. Schedule for Brian
  3. Bee group
  4. Orchard
  5. Site maintenance
  6. Grant application
  7. Open day

Finances:

  • Catherine gave an overview of the current financial status. There is €1,844.87 in the bank but there are receipts of €400 to be paid. This leaves €1,444.87 in the bank with further funding due from council for 2017. This amount won’t be known until after new season applications are in and paid for.

Schedule for Brian January 2017.

  • Stop cutting grass during frosty or too wet weather conditions.
  • Move clay heap top boundary fence.
  • Continue with remedial work in orchard.
  • Tony 6th January
  • Ritamary 13th January
  • Karen 20th January
  • Gerry 27th January.

Orchard:

  • No progress made in recent months. Karen will talk with Brian to agree a plan for some ongoing tasks.
  • Karen will also contact John Harrington to arrange another pruning demonstration.

Bees

  • A funding request was lodged with Fingal Co. Co and a grant of€599.50 was granted based on a spend of €1309.
  • A new hive will now be purchased to include a NUC, bees, Queen.

Site maintenance:

  • Gerry to arrange to meet with John Hartnett regarding unlet and unkempt plots.
  • Tony to contact John Hartnett to arrange a meeting for the New Year.
  • Ask council to look at pathways on site and also enquire about a new top dressing for the main road and car park.

Grant application:

  • The committee will explore grant funding to ascertain if grants are available for the renewal of polythene on poly-tunnel and also to look at a wind turbine for the site.

Open day:

  • An open day has been agreed for the last weekend in January. Karen to approach John Harrington as speaker for open day on 21st January 2017. Library to be booked from 2- 4.

AOB

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 21:30 by Tony Baldwin.

Minutes submitted by: John Bagge

Approved by: [Name]


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 12

Meeting Minutes: 9th November 2016

Opening

The regular meeting of the Powerstown Allotment Association was called to order at 8pm on 9th November 2016 in Bell Pub by Tony Baldwin.

Present: Tony, Catherine, Karen and John

Apologies: Joanna, Dave and Ritamary.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of previous meeting were not available and approval was put off until December 2016.

Agenda

  1. Council meeting
  2. 1916 garden Grant
  3. Bee Group
  4. Christmas meet up
  5. Flower competition

Council meeting:

Present: Fingal: John Hartnett, Anne Murphy and R

Powerstown: Tony, Catherine and Ritamary

  • The council stated that all funding within the budget for allotments is being channeled into Turvey Allotments.
  • The electronic gates will not be provided for Powerstown in the near future.
  • It was proposed to Council that in the short term it would be more prudent from a safety perspective to move the gate further into allotments. Council will look at this from a cost perspective and revert to committee.
  • Karen stated that she would make contact with Turvey to see what they are getting from council.
  • Council will contact the Traffic Section to find out if a ramp could be put on Powerstown road near the entrance gate to allotments.
  • Wind turbine: council said that if Powerstown committee researched this idea and reverted with costs and plans that they would review this with a view to being implemented.
  • John to prepare costs and plans.

Bee Group

  • There is a meeting on Saturday 12th November 2016 for interested members. Tony will demonstrate how to use equipment and tools. Interest is still good and some people have signed up for bee keepers course.

1916 garden grants:

  • Men’s shed invoice issue has been resolved. All other invoices are now in the correct and acceptable format. Everything in future to paid for by cheque.

Security:

  • John to talk to contact in An Post re Eir code and GPS co-ordinates.
  • GPS53.4159675 – 6.4000806
  • There is no Eircode for the site as we do not receive post at the address.

Christmas Night out:

  • December 8th has been agreed for the night out. Karen to arrange withBell/ Brady’s and to book food platter/s

AOB

Rota for Brian’s time sheet

Flower competition:

  • Bee friendly
  • Best overall plot
  • Most colourfull
  • Best variety of vegetables / fruit
  • Prizes to announced later

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 21:30 by Tony Baldwin. The next meeting will be at 20:00 on December 6, 2016, in Ritamary’s House.

Minutes submitted by: John Bagge

Approved by: [Name]


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 11

Meeting Minutes: 12th October 2016

Opening

The regular meeting of the Powerstown Allotment Association was called to order at 8pm on 12th October 2016 in Bell Pub by Tony B.

Present: Joanna, Tony, Catherine, Karen, Ritamary and John

Apologies: Gerry, Dave.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of previous meeting were not available and approval was put off until November 2016.

Agenda

  1. 1916 Garden Grant Funding issues
  2. Bee Group
  3. Security meeting update
  4. Flower competition

1916 garden grant funding:

  • Olive Talbot Fingal Co. Co. has been in contact with Ritamary, receipts are not acceptable in current format. Raiph has sorted out some of the invoices but has said that a new system has been put in place which demands different inputs. Ritamary is due to meet Raiph to sort this out. (RB)
  • Tony has been in contact with Hans of Men’s Shed regarding their invoice. Men’s Shed have a stamp, Tony will create invoice template for them and load it onto their computer. (TB)

Bee Group

  • There was a meeting called interested people for new bee group on 4th October 2016, only three people turned up. For all people interested in involvement with bees training must be undertaken. Fingal Bee Keepers have a course starting in February/March 2017 and costs must be paid for by attendees.
  • Fingal Bee Keepers AGM last Thursday 6th October 2016, subs for 2017 now due. 20 people have already signed up for bee keeping course so any interested people need to register as soon as possible. Two people from Powerstown have registered (Peter and Dabney).
  • Tony said that bees won’t need to be fed until after Christmas.
  • Tony has arranged to meet up with Fran re planning for 2017.

Security meeting:

  • Sergeant Vincent Connolly from Blanchardtown called to site. A good number of people turned up for meeting. Vincent provided a sheet with a number of pointers for plot holders
  • GPS code for site
  • Advise people where you are going,
  • Always have a fully charged phone with you

Flower Competition:

  • This is to encourage early and late season flowers for the site. It will help bee colony plus other insects also encourages biodiversity.
  • The issues are when to start competition, is it for the whole season or will it be broken down between spring, autumn.
  • An email will be circulated to all members advising them of the type of flowers and the competition makeup.
  • Agreement needs to be reached on categories and prizes.

Fingal Co. Co.

  • A meeting needs to be arranged with Fingal Co. Co. to agree on program of works for council for 2017.
  • We as a group need to have some idea of what we require from the council:
  • Electronic opening of gate
  • Moving of gate back from the road to allow safer leaving and entering of site.
  • Wind turbine for cabin to allow us to have free power in cabin.

Brian’s timesheet rota:

  • 20/10/2016 Karen
  • 27/10/2016 Tony
  • 03/11/2016 Ritamary
  • 10/11/2016 John
  • 17/11/2016 Gerry

AOB

  • Mower update: John said that mower had broken down again after 3 days. John contacted suppliers directly and arranged with them to liaise with Briand to collect mower.
  • Mower was collected and returned after 3 days in full working order.

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 21:30 by Tony Baldwin. The next meeting will be at 20:00 on November 2, 2016, in Bell Pub.

Minutes submitted by: John Bagge

Approved by: [Name]


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 10

Meeting Minutes

8th September 2016

Opening

The regular meeting of the Powerstown Allotment Association was called to order at 8pm on 8th September 2016 in Bell Pub by Tony Baldwin.

Present: Joanna, Tony, Catherine, Karen, Ritamary and John

Apologies: Gerry, Dave.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.

Agenda

  1. Opening of garden
  2. Schedule for Brian
  3. Orchard matters
  4. Bees
  5. Security

Garden opening:

  • Thanks to Karen and Gerry for all work done to get garden ready for opening.
  • Great day all round, good feedback from those who attended.
  • Some children unsupervised – this is an issue which needs to be sorted for future events.
  • Ask John Hartnett for signage (supervise children) John to follow up.
  • Also to post on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Email to be sent to all members stating that children must be supervised at all times.

Schedule for Brian (timesheet)

  • 05/09/2016 Karen
  • 12/09/2016 Joanne
  • 19/09/2016 John
  • 26/09/2016 Ritamary

Orchard working group:

  • Little or no progress so far. Lead required
  • A schedule of work needs to be drawn up: Karen
  • It is possible to get Brian involved once grass is under control again

Bees working group:

  • Progress so far: application for grant was for 2 hives and equipment
  • New hive where to source new swarm and queen : Fran or buy from elsewhere.
  • A decision is required whether to buy new nucleus hive, additional suits, smoker, hive tool.
  • A subscription is required for Fingal Beekeepers Association
  • All people who want to be involved with bees must complete recognized course

Security:

  • The purpose of the security initiative is raise awareness regarding crops, equipment and crops.
  • Garda Community officer with conduct a survey of site (Karen will meet him), after survey and inspection he will present his finding and recommendations on 8/10/2016.

AOB

  • Brians to do list
  • Mower still faulty (John to follow up)
  • Orchard begin laying mypex around trees
  • Water hawthorn saplings

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 21:30 by Tony Baldwin. The next meeting will be at 20:00 on October 1, 2016, in Bell Pub.

Minutes submitted by: John Bagge

Approved by: [Name]


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 9

Meeting Information

Objective: Committee meeting to discuss on going matters

Date: 7th July 2016

Time: 8.30pm

Location: Portacabin, Powerstown Allotment Site.

Agenda

  1. Review of item outstanding from previous meeting.
  2. Allocation of 1916 Grant Funding.
  3. AOB

Meeting called to order

Present:-  Karen K, Ritamary B, Catherine B, Gerry M, Tony B.
Apologies: John B, David H.
Absent: Joanna

  • Welcome of new committee members carried over.
  • Minutes of meeting dated 2/10/15, 5/12/15, 15/03/16, 11/5/16 and 23/06/16 were approved by Karen and seconded by Gerry.
  • BBQ date adjourned and to be decided at the next committee meeting on 3rd August 2016.
    • It was suggested that a date at the end of August would be better before the schools return.
  • Karen to draw up a plan of vacant plots in conjunction with the Council and place Vacant signs on each of the plots. This work to be completed by Brian L (TUS worker). Gerry to purchase wood for attaching the signs to.
  • Additions made to existing signing rota for Brian L (TUS worker). Week beginning 25th July (Karen/Gerry), and 1st August (Tony).
  • 1916 Funding.
    • Ritamary to source bench and picnic table from Men’s Shed. Wood preserves and brushes to be purchased.
    • Karen to source fruit trees and containers to be sought from Men’s Shed.
    • Plaque for 1916 Memorial Garden to be sourced and inscribed with suitable wording and quoted with “Funded by Fingal County Council”.
  • Site Security,
    • Tony to contact Blanchardstown Garda Community Unit to see if advice could be sought and instruction on ways to prevent intrusion to the site and personal security.
    • Seek information for an event to be provided by the Community Unit.
  • Site infestation.
    • (Rats) Fingal County Council have been continuously updated on this issue and exterminator to install traps and review them every few days.
    • (Daddy Long Leg larvae) Tony to contact Teagasc to seek advice on how to get rid of larvae.
  • AOB – Karen to email plotholders about Brian Long (TUS worker) welcoming him to Powerstown Allotments and detail work load.
    • Karen to email John H about making paths smaller
    • Karen to email plotholders about Fingal site inspections
  • Plot Rotavation. – Deferred discussion to December 2016.

Other Notes or Information

____________________________                                                      ______________________

Recorded By:                                                                               Date:


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 8

Meeting Information

Objective: Committee meeting to discuss on going matters

Date:                  23rd June 2016

Time:                  20:00

Location:           Portacabin, Powerstown

Agenda

  1. Welcome to the new committee members
  2. Approval of previous meetings minutes
  3. Election of committee officers for 2016/17
  4. Approval of proposed 2016/17 committee meeting timetable
  5. Register of keys for portacabin, bee area, notice board
  6. Finalise Midsummer BBQ plans
  7. Finalise Tus worker work plan, supervision plan & rota + welcome email
  8. Bee working group update

Meeting called to order

Present:-  Karen, Ritamary, Tony, Catherine, Gerry,  John.

Apologies: Dave, Joanna

  • Minutes of last meeting were deferred until all committee members had a chance to review same.
  • Barbecue postponed until after Irelands last match in Euro 2016.
  • Barbecue: Committee to provide coals, tea, coffee, milk, sugar, cups and cordial for barbecue. Attendees to provide their own food and refreshments.
  • Insurance on site for barbecue is approved by insurers.
  • Insurance policy in place from 01/01/2016. 2 events a year covered by policy.
  • Election of Committee Officers to be held over until all committee members are available to vote. Current officers to stand until new officers are elected.
  • Welcome to new members postponed for same reason.
  • Timetable for committee meetings agreed. 1st Wednesday of every month at 8 p.m. agreed.
  • TUS worker (Brian Long) a work plan needs to be finalised. It was agreed that site looks much cleaner and inviting with the maintenance on site.
  • A supervisor’s rota to be put in place for signing off on time sheet and liaison with Brian.
  • John to ask Brian to attend committee meeting to formally meet everyone.
  • A welcome email to be sent to Brian from committee.
  • AOB
    • Ritamary has a petrol strimmer which she is willing to donate to Committee. It needs to be serviced before it is deployed. John to get details of service company.
    • Bee update nil. Hive is in situ and bees are very active. It was agreed that a weekly blog update be provided to keep members appraised of progress.
  • Grant for 1916 commemoration has been approved by Council. They require receipts of €1,250 before monies are refunded.It was agreed that some items should be purchased from Men’s Shed for the commemoration namely, picnic table, benches, bird bath, plaque.

Next meeting 6th July Portacabin 20:00

Other Notes or Information

____________________________                ______________________

Recorded By: John  B                                                    Date: 28th  June 2016.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 7

Meeting Information

Objective: Committee meeting to discuss on going matters

Date:                  11th May 2016

Time:                  8.00pm

Location:           Bell Pub.

Agenda

  1. 2016 AGM
  2. Tus worker
  3. Grant funding update
  4. AOB

Meeting called to order

Present:-  Karen K, Ritamary B, Tony B, Catherine B, John B.

Apologies: Trisha B, Gerry M

  • AGM – Karen opened the meeting. First order of business was to set the AGM and was approved for 11th June 2016 at 11A.m. at the Polytunnel on the allotment site. It is proposed to hold a seedling swap and tea after the AGM.
    • Catherine confirmed that the interim instalment of the Association Fee have been deposited and in the account. Association accounts to be prepared for the AGM. Karen to prepare Chairs report to include a summary of workgroups achievements. Workgroup may be asked to expand on this during the AGM.
    • Karen, Ritamary, Catherine, Tony, John and Gerry are putting names forward for re-election. There are two vacancies on the committee to be filled. Outgoing committee members, who are not going for re-election to be thanked for their assistance during the year.
  • Tús worker – John has spoken to Wayne (Tús Team Leader) who has identified a candidate for the allotment. John is to meet candidate and there experience and expectations are to be discussed.
    • Areas of responsibilities were identified and Tony to draw up list for the Tús worker.
    • John stated the council are to provide a lawn mower which a make/model has been identified and purchase order has been issued. John also stated that the fuel for the lawn mover should not be stored with the lawn mover and the Bee area has been identified as a small brick shelter is proposed to be built for it.
  • Bees – Tony updated the committee on the progress made with the bee area. Hive has been built with just a few minor issues to be completed. A Nucleus hive (Starter hive) has also been purchased and assembled. Tony has identified Saturday, 14th May 2016 as installation date of the wooden support frames and netting for the hives. Fran (Bee provider) to be invited and inspect the bee area when completed.
  • Grant funding for the bee area to be furnished to the council by RitaMary by the 16th May 2016.
  • Social Event – A Mid Summer Pot Luck BBQ was proposed and Sunday 26th June 2016 between 2 and 6 pm was set. BBQ, Tea/Coffee and coals will be provided and attendees to bring along food. Fancy dress and kids games to be set. Jana to be asked by Karen to provide face painting. John Harrington also to be invited.
  • Other – Karen is to carry out an inspection of plots and identify any plots not being used or vacant. Council to be notified of the outcome.
    • Karen also to contact council in regard to signage for the bee area and vacant plots.
    • Clean out of cabin and fencing posts to be removed from cabin outdoors.

Other Notes or Information

____________________________                     ______________________

Recorded By: Tony B                                                         Date: 14th May 2016.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 6

Meeting Information

Objective: Committee meeting to discuss on going matters

Date:                  15th March 2016

Time:                  7.30pm

Location:           Bell Pub.

Agenda

  1. Update from meeting with Council 2 Mar 16
  2. Approval plot take-up by Blanchardstown Garda Youth Group
  3. Approval of Bee keeping plans & grant application
  4. Approval of 1916 plans & grant application
  5. AOB

Meeting called to order

Present:-  Karen K, Ritamary B, Catherine B, Gerry M, John B.

Apologies: Trisha B, Tony B

  • An update was given from the meeting with Council on 2 Mar 16:
    • Renewals & new plot holders 2016 – the list was shared with the committee – Karen to update email and Tony to update database
    • Bee Area fencing & concrete skirting works to be completed in March
    • Portaloo Hire & Pest Control for 2016 – portaloo is back on site. New pest control co appointed for 2016. They will need access to portacabin.
    • Possible application for grant funding through FCC Community Department
      • Committee advised that they had been in touch with Rafe Costigan of FCC regarding funding the bees
    • Introduction of Garda Mick Molloy – Garda Diversion Project, Blanchardstown
      • The Gardai are hoping to take a plot this year to introduce the younger members of their youth group (12-14) to gardening
    • Road & Car Park repairs
      • Aggregate to be delivered to site
    • Gate repairs & lock maintenance – gate to be repaired in coming weeks. Committee to look after lock maintenance
    • Update on natural hedge suggestion for Western Boundary – the hedge is on order, delivery date tbd
  • The plot take-up by Blanchardstown Garda Youth Group was approved unanimously
    • The general consensus what that it will be good to have young people on site
  • The Bee keeping plans & grant application were approved
    • Ritamary to fill out application, to meet on site on Sat for final review
  • The 1916 plans & grant application were approved
    • Ritamary to fill out application, to meet on site on Sat for final review
  • The Committee discussed the issue raised by plot-holder Joanna where several items have been removed from her recently allocated plot
    • Karen to escalate this issue to Council
    • Committee to look at getting a community Garda to give a talk about security on site, and look again at setting up an ‘allotment watch’ scheme

Other Notes or Information

____________________________                       ______________________

Recorded By: Karen K                                                          Date: 6th July 2016.


 

Advertisements