2015 Minutes

POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 5

Meeting Information

Objective: Committee meeting to discuss on going matters

Date:                  5th December  2015

Time:                  10:00

Location:           Bell Pub.

Agenda

Item/Presenter

  1. Council deliverables update
  2. Insurance update
  3. Education update
  4. TUS update
  5. Sub committees
  6. Events:
  7. Refund expenses
  8. AOB

Meeting called to order

Present:-  Karen K, Ritamary B, Tony B, Catherine B, Gerry M, Trisha B, John B.

Absent: Ciaran M

  • Minutes of last meeting were deferred.
  • Council deliverables update.
    • Aggregate provision thereof to be put on timetable for council.
    • No response from Ruairi re maintenance of site.
    • Final warning letters being sent.
    • Allotment agreement to be amended
  • Insurance policy in place from 01/01/2016. 2 events a year covered by policy.
  • Education some interest shown by members re allotment courses which are held in Leitrim. Gerry to put email up on Facebook page. Second course in Coolmine course possible if enough interest is shown.
  • TUS application form completed and delivered to TUS office in Mulhuddart.
  • Subcommittees to be kick started in new year. One nominee from each subcommittee to be main contact for group.
    • Orchard Tony.
    • Security John
    • Site maintenance Gerry
    • Environment Trisha
    • Bees Ritamary
    • Events Catherine
    • Site improvement Karen
  • Events
    • Christmas night out to go ahead on Thurs 10 Dec at Bradys Castleknock. Finger food to be booked.
    • Open day: An open day should be held before new agreements are signed. This should help to generate interest from new and existing plotholders.16th January is the proposed date. The slides from last year to be used again. Tony to contact John Harrington re guest speaker on the day.
  • Approved expediture
    • Expenses refund: John Warren €50.
    • Keys €16.50 Gerry
    • Site website €25 Maeve
    • Site website renewal €26/Kettle €25 Karen
    • Gift for FCC €25
  • AOB: Ciaran M to be removed from committee. Proposed Karen. Seconded Catherine.

Other Notes or Information

____________________________                       ______________________

Recorded By: John  B                                                          Date: 3rd January 2016.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 4

MEETING INFORMATION

Objective: Committee meeting to discuss on going matters

Date: 10th October 2015

Time: 10:00am

Location: Allotment porta-cabin

AGENDA

Item/Presenter

  1. Education update
  2. Council deliverables
  3. Insurance
  4. Bank account
  5. End of season gathering
  6. Review 2016/17 Development plan
  7. AOB

MEETING CALLED TO ORDER

Present:- Karen K, Ritamary B, Tony B, Catherine B, Gerry M, Trisha B, John B.

Absent: Ciaran M

  • Minutes of last meeting of 26/8/15 were accepted. Proposer Catherine B, Seconded by Trisha B.
  • Education Update
    • Course going well, to finish at end of month. Tony has acquired 15 copies of Teagasc growing vegetables booklet for distribution to all class attendees.
  • Council deliverables:-
    • Compost and chippings, Tony has a promise of more to be provided, estimated 2 loads of each.
    • Skip deliver to site by council.
    • Final inspection of plots with John Hartnett arranged with John Bagge for 13 th
    • October 2015.
  • Insurance quote from BHP €545. Other insurers not interested. KK spoke with John H and advised him of situation. He referred KK to Ecclesiastical Insurance.
  • Bank Account now open. KK sent bank information to John H. JH has confirmed that an amount of €1400 will be transferred to account within the next number of weeks. There are still some problems registering online TB and CB working on this.
  • End of season: a tea and coffee morning has been arranged for 31 st October 2015 at 11:00 am. TB to post email, KK post in twitter/Facebook and TB place notices on gate and Polytunnel.
  • Development plan for 2016/2017 – review Ritamary email and decide if Committee or council responsibility:
    • Site maintenance: should committee take this on: TUS option. If committee equipment will be required. Same will have to be provided by Council. Committee
    • Gap under Jenny’s fence: Council responsibility. Council 
    • Rabbits/rats: Committee responsibility. Ritamary to explore alternatives to poisoning, ferrets, hawks lamping. Committee 
    • (Committee need to define strategy for site. Some plotholders lay poison but do not display signs.)
    • Orchard pruning. Tony to talk to John Mark B on how to prune trees. Committee
    • Roads maintenance. Aggregate is required for this. Committee to approach ouncil re provision of same. Council + Committee
    • New fence: is too low in places. Native hedging required. Council
    • Security: Improved on previous years. Some ideas put forward allotmentwatch, CCTV, Notices. Council + Committee
    • Property left on vacant or returned plots: Policy on distribution of these needsto be decided on by Committee. Committee
    • Plot holders in default: Council
    • Bees: Fencing is in Council plan but committee responsibility. Council + Committee
    • Solar panels, wind turbine Council
  1. In summary, to be presented at next meeting with Council with site maintenance tbd:
    • Committee plan
      • Tus worker
      • Security
      • Education
      • Site improvement
      • Environmental
      • Community
      • Bee keeping
      • Events
      • Pest control
      • Orchard
      • Roads maintenance
      • Property on returned allotments
    • Council Plan
      • Entrance gate-2017
      • Bee area fencing-2016
      •  Fix gap under Jenny’s fence-2016
      • Aggregate for Roads maintenance-2016
      • Native hedge around new fence
      • Security cameras
      • Plot-holders in default
  2.  AOB
  • JB to approach Tus through Blanchardstown Area Partnership regarding placement of worker on site
  • Maeve has reported that there is a rat on her plot. Reported same to council.
  • JB to remind JH re same on Mon 13th Oct.

OTHER NOTES OR INFORMATION

____________________________ ______________________

Recorded By: John B                                     Date: 3rd January 2016.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 3

MEETING INFORMATION

Objective: Committee meeting to discuss on going matters

Date:                  5th August 2015

Time:                  19:30

Location:            Allotment porta-cabin

Agenda

Item/Presenter

  1. Call to Order Karen K
  2. Welcome apologies, and agenda review Karen K
  3. Minutes of last meeting
  4. Matters arising
    1. Council deliverables- onsite toilet, compost, fence posts, bee keeping area, skip for 11 July, fence repairs, letters to defaulting plot-holders, lawnmower & strimmer
    2. Bank account – complete application forms
    3. Annual BBQ – Association insurance
    4. Fingal Horticultural Society awards
    5. Education – Coolmine night classes, John Harrington
    6. Management of website – education section
    7. Porta-cabin keys
    8. Gateway assistance for site
    9. Allotment rules – approval
    10. Finalise annual BBQ plans
    11. Communication with plot-holders: Summer newsletter, Meet & Greet Sat mornings
    12. AOB

Meeting called to order

Present:-  Karen K, Ritamary B, Tony B, Catherine B, Gerry M, Trisha B, John B.

Apologies: Ciaran M

  • Minutes of last meeting were passed. Proposer Tony B, Seconded by Trisha B.
  • Council deliverables
    • Toilet repaired but still appears to be broken. Karen to contact John H again.
    • New fence erected but bolts have not been spot welded. KK to refer matter to JH.
    • No reply from Ruairi as yet re requests for mower, strimmer, topsoil and bark chippings.
  • Bee Area. JB stated that he had raised matter with JH again and JH stated that he is awaiting a price on bee area fencing and remedial work to existing fencing.
  • Bank account additional forms to be completed by Catherine , Karen and John before account can be set up. Forms completed 5th August 2015.
  • Education Tony and Ritamary have made good progress on this,. Coolmine have include in their night time classes a “GIY” class and Riatmary and Tony have recommended a tutor for the course. The course will proceed if 12 or more applicants sign up.
  • Additional workshop classes may take place at allotment site and a small fee will apply. KK stated that she would posts classes on twitter and Facebook to generate interest.
  • Garden shop.ie has donated a hamper for the Association. This will be used as a prize before season ends.
  • TUS JB stated that he was at a talk in BAP regarding TUS placements and he has the necessary contact information to hand now.
  • Karen stated that she had made contact with Balbriggan Allotment Association (Joe T) who stated that they have two types of insurance to cover Allotments and that these are both paid for by the Council. Karen now has insurer’s information and has contacted them but she needs more information before a complete quote can be given. John stated that he had contacted the legal department in Council and is awaiting further contact.
  • Gerry to post notice on Facebook details of harvest meet and greet day on 29th August 2015. A prize will be given on the day. Categories to be decided before then.
  • Fingal have stated that it is the responsibility of Association to inspect all plots and refer any unkempt plots to Fingal for further contact. i.e 1st letter, 2nd Karen to discuss process with JH.
  • BBQ is put on hold until insurance issue is resolved.
  • Communication with plot holders. In addition to monthly to do list a periodic newsletter will be issued by committee. Also additional meet and greet days will be arranged.
  • Amended Site rules. These have been approved by committee.
  • AOB
    • Skips Karen to request skip from JH
    • Since fence was erected rats have become a problem, many traps have been overturned and dislodged, plus additional traps are required across the site. Karen to refer matter to JH

Other Notes or Information

__________________________           ______________________

Recorded By: John  B                                Date: 5th August 2015.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING 2

MEETING INFORMATION

Objective: Committee meeting to discuss on going matters

Date: 09/07/2015

Time: 19:30

Location: Allotment Polytunnel

AGENDA

Item/Presenter

  1. Call to Order Karen K
  2. Welcome-Introduction Karen K
  3. Roll Call Karen K
  4. New Business
    1. Allotments rules – incl. access to plots, control of dogs, speed limit inside site
    2. AOB

MEETING CALLED TO ORDER

Present:- Karen K, Ritamary B, Tony B, Catherine B, Gerry M, Trisha B, John B.

Apologies Ciaran M

  • Minutes of last meeting were passed. Proposer Tony B, Seconded by Trisha B.
  • Meeting with Fingal Co Co:
    • –Gerry stated that he thought that it was a good meeting and that some objectives were achieved. Co. Co committed to cut grass in public areas and also vacant lots. This will help to keep weeds at bay. Co. Co also stated that porta cabin is ordered and will be delivered this week.
    • –On site toilet to be checked for leaks as there is no disinfectant fluid in it at present. John H stated that there is a contract in place for the upkeep of toilet and he will refer matter to supplier.
    • –Bee area to be costed for fencing when fencing contractor is on site.
    • –Skip to be provided for weekend of 11th July 2015.
    • –Co Co to investigate insurance cover re on site barbecue.
    • –Co. Co stated that they won’t be contacting plot holders who don’t maintain plot. Karen will discuss matter further with John H.
    • –Co. Co also stated that plot holders are responsible for maintaining headlands. It will be the responsibility of the Association to ensure that this is maintained from now on.
    • –Co. Co are pushing responsibility for allotments onto the Association.
  • 140 plots now taken up, welcome letter letters sent to 12 new members.
  • Tony ‘s to do list well received, this will be a regular feature in the coming months.
  • Broken fence posts , Karen to contact Co Co and request 100 new posts, Co Co will not put them in.
  • Gateway initiative not happening for this year, John to investigate how to make this happen for next year.
  • Bank Account , a bank account for the Association has been opened with Ulster Bank, money from Co Co should be transferred shortly.
  • Petrol lawn mower and petrol strimmer, Karen has written to Ruairi of Co Co to see if he can provide same for the Association.
  • The Powerstown Allotment Association has now been registered with Fingal CO Co and will be eligible to apply for funding through grants etc.
  • A BBQ has been proposed for 22nd August 2015 as a meet and greet social event. Karen to contact John H CO Co re insurance cover.
  •  Education plans Ritamary and Tony:
    • –Ritamary has been in contact with Coolmine Secondary School and ITB re education program. Coolmine Adult education coordinator is very interested in running night class for this initiative. ITB to recommend a Post Graduate student who could conduct lectures.
    • –Ritamary will be attending in Beech Park walled garden next week and will make contact with John Harrington head gardener, with a view to ask him to take the evening classes.
    • –Update: Ritamary has asked him, but he has not replied. As he is retiring this week, I suppose that is not too surprising. I will follow up in a while. Tony did suggest that if he is not available/willing to do this, he might give occasional master classes on the allotment site. This would of course involve us in payment, whereas the evening courses will be paid by Coolmine, providing they get 12 sign ups.
  • Maeve to hand over maintenance of website to Gerry:
    • –A new education section to be created.
    • –Teagasc provide a lot of information which can be included.
  • Gerry to get additional keys cut for porta cabin lock.
  • Tony to provide a new document with updated rules for the allotment holders. These will be displayed in the notice board .

OTHER NOTES OR INFORMATION

____________________________ ______________________

Recorded By: John B Date: 9th July 2015.


POWERSTOWN ALLOTMENT COMMITTEE FIRST MEETING

MEETING INFORMATION

Objective: Nominate committee officers and establish committee’s objectives for the coming year.

Date: 25/05/2015

Time: 19:30

Location: Allotment Polytunnel

AGENDA

Item/Presenter

  1. Call to Order Karen K
  2. Welcome-Introduction Karen K
  3. Roll Call Karen K
  4. New Business
    1. Nominate and elect officers
    2. Mission statement
    3. Registration of allotment association
    4. Plan for remainder of season

MEETING CALLED TO ORDER

Present:- Karen K, Ritamary B, Tony B, Catherine B, Ciaran M, Gerry M, John B.

Apologies Trisha B

  • The officers of the committee were elected as follows:-
    • Karen K,Chairperson
    • John B, Secretary
    • Catherine B, Treasurer.
  • It was agreed as the committee is now formed that the registration of Powerstown Allotment Association should proceed as quickly as possible. Karen is to contact John H in Fingal Co Co regarding making contact with the areas that can assist in registering the Allotment association.
  • It was agreed that the committee should meet with the council regarding outstanding promises by the Council to Powerstown
    • -Fencing on boundary
    • -Container for site
    • -Wind turbine and photo cells for container
    • -Wood chips for site
    • -Top soil for site.
    • -Bee site – cordoning off of same.
  • Plan for coming season: a barbecue was proposed for the 22nd August 2015 at 15:00. Committee will provide coals and barbecues for the day. Members to provide own food and refreshments.
  • Harvest festival to be held at end of season. Prizes to be provided for the following categories:
    • -Best allotment
    • -Most interesting allotment
    • -Best laid out allotment
    • -Most colourful allotment
    • -Best scarecrow (children’s prize)
    • -Produce table with raw and prepared foods from allotment holders plots.
  • John to contact Fingal Horticultural Society to see if they can provide a judge on the day.
  • Tony and Ritamary to organize plan for education and skills workshops
  • Discuss with members possible days out – kitchen garden Phoenix Park, Botanic Gardens etc.
  • Gerry to take over management of website, also to promote greater use of same for contact with members.
  • It was agreed that minutes of committee meeting will be posted on website for all members to read.
  • Catherine to explore with local bank branches to organize back account for Allotment Association

OTHER NOTES OR INFORMATION

____________________________ ______________________

Recorded By: John B Date: 25th May 2015.

Advertisements