Want to use up a glut of courgettes in your allotment? This is a tried and tested cake in my home, loved by vege-phobes, and freezes very well!
- 120g softened unsalted butter
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 130ml milk
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 450g courgettes, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Put the butter, sunflower oil and both sugars in a bowl and beat them together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and then the milk.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and fold them into the mixture. Stir in the courgettes and vanilla, then spoon the mixture into a 20 x 35cm baking tin lined with baking parchment. Place in the oven and bake for 35–45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cut into squares whilst still warm.
Karen – Plot no 94&95